Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Food Adventures #13: Chocolate Orange Patron Cupcakes



The latest in my cupcake adventures I made for my sister's birthday, Chocolate Orange Patron cupcakes were a mixed success to say the least. The cake part of the cupcake was good- the Orange Patron married quite nicely with the chocolate creating a rich and decadent flavor that I attempted to make slightly more orange-y by throwing in some orange zest to the batter.

As always, frosting was my downfall. I wanted to go back to a cream cheese base because I thought it would work better but either I over mixed it or something just didn't gel because it was runny again. I'm really getting to the point where I might seriously take a class or two to hone my frosting skills because I'd really like to get it right one of these days.

Overall, I'd say these have potential. I might try them again and vary the recipe a little bit- I'd never used orange zest in anything before and I think I might have used a wee bit too much- and that means you get orange flavor but it was bordering on bitterness which I wasn't crazy about. But it was my first time back on the cupcake horse in awhile- so I think more are in order! And given that this is out there waiting for me to try, I have a feeling that bacon might be making an appearance in some cupcakes quite soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment