Saturday, May 19, 2012

More Ramblings from The Sunshine State




After my second visit to Florida, I still don't really know what to think of the place. The Missus and I avoided the central Orlando area like the plague, which I think helped a lot- there's nothing like the experience of being stuck in a swarm of tourists/residents on the I-4 to make you really detest a place- which happened last time but despite how beautiful it was, I was left with the nagging verdict that Florida is an awesome place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

First of all, there's the staggering number of people. People, people- everywhere you look- PEOPLE! Maybe it's just a central Florida thing but the roads always seem to clogged with people and the local news seems to be full of stories about people getting shot not to mention what I would consider to be an unhealthy number of commercials for ambulance chasing type lawyers. (Including one enterprising individual who is a JD AND an MD... a Doctor and a Lawyer. What a hellish combination that must be...) While I tend to be charitable and easy-going with my fellow mammalians the sheer number of people combined with the heat and the irritation of how long it seems to take to get anywhere must make people a little crazy. (Interesting factoid: they drive like bats out of hell down there... going from Daytona to back to Sanford the Missus was doing 85 and barely keeping pace with traffic.) (Second interesting factoid: saw a Subaru at the Kennedy Space Center covered with 'Got Granola' type bumper stickers and got up to Daytona Beach the next day only to be greeted by the sight of an overweight Grandmother wearing a t-shirt that loudly proclaimed 'OBAMA SUCKS.' For some reason that seems to be very appropriate for the Sunshine State.)

Second of all, the beaches are beautiful. I'll give Florida that- they've got that going for them. Cocoa Beach/Melbourne Beach was beautiful but the really excellent beach was Daytona Beach. Both the Missus and I agreed that next time, we'll stay there. And I have to admit, spending a day on the beach, safely slathered with sunscreen under an umberella reading a book was totally and utterly relaxing. I could have done without quite so much rain but on balance, one solid day on the beach plus a visit and a beautiful afternoon at Daytona Beach made for just the recharging/rebalancing of chi I was looking for. There's a lot to be said for beaches.

Finally, the 'nerd-alert' highlight of the visit was the Kennedy Space Center. Having spent $32 on Graceland and leaving with the uncomfortable notion that I had just been screwed somehow, the KSC's general admission price of $43 made me nervous. But they give you your money's worth- the main complex had more than enough to keep you busy and going out to view the launch pads and the Saturn V center was awesome. The endless montage of musical scores/inspirational music from every space movie ever made got to be a little much... but it was super cool nonetheless.

But, Florida... I have a feeling I'll be back- with bells on! Perhaps Miami next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment