Tuesday, February 16, 2010

You're Fired (Yay For Unions Edition!)

Found this on Instapundit and 'bout s--t a brick! Public School Teachers in Central Falls, Rhode Island, who were earning 70-78,000 a year in a town where the median income was 22K and the high school was terrible (50% graduation rate, according to the article) were asked to work 25 more minutes a day, do some tutoring, eat lunch with the students now and again, all in an attempt to improve one of the worst high schools in the state.

They said no. And the Superintendent fired them all. Every. Single. One.

Damn right, is what I say- and for the record, these were unionized teachers which is just another reason for me not to like unions. And more to the point, it's the very antithesis of what I want to do. If I'm going to be a teacher, I'm going to teach- and I'm going to be good at it and if I'm making 70K a year, I'm not going to turn down a reasonable request to help improve the school I'm at. Union be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment