Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fitness Challenge: February

Starting Weight: 249.2
Current Weight: 237.6

The story of this month revolves around The Grapefruit Diet. I have to say this was a diet I can cautiously get behind. Once, many moons ago, my parents, the Missus and myself all tried the South Beach Diet. I lasted about a week. I remember one day opening the Tuperware that contained my lunch and finding a solitary lettuce leave with a bit of turkey wrapped in it. At that point, I decided I wanted bread and would be willing to mug a homeless bum just for a crust of anything resembling it.

This diet- I might actually be able to get my head around it. Why the sudden embrace? Well my father found out he was suffering from fatty liver disease so the Doc whipped this out and put him on it, telling him to get the weight down, and fast. (They normally give this to patients heading into bypass surgery that need to lose a few pounds.) The Doc did admit that Dieticians hated it- but he also pointed out that most dieticians are overweight anyway- and this diet, he said, does actually work.

So what's it all about? Grapefruit! For breakfast, grapefruit with 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon. For lunch, grapefruit with salad, dressing and all the meat you want. For dinner, grapefruit with all the meat you want and veg. No sugar, no starches, no carbs... Do it for 12 days, take 2 off and then do it again!

Overall, I found it to be quite reasonable. The notion of 2 days off where you can eat things like carbs and whatever really makes it a lot easier to take. Only challenge, from what I can see as a challenge would be getting yourself transitioned onto a more normal diet- but I'll take that as it comes. All I know is that, I feel good, I'm down weight and I'm working out better than ever. Plus: 60 days without soda!

Goals For March: I've restarted the Couch to 5k thing- and my goal for March is to get myself down to the Rec Center five days a week and really get things going. This time last year was where I began to get a little soft and eventually fell apart completely, but not this year- this year this is when I'm going to kick it into high gear. Diet-wise, I think I'm doing a really good job of being healthier overall. I've had some issues along the way, but I'm enjoying and eating salads on a regular basis. My carbs are nowhere near what they used to be and I'm still staying soda free, which isn't all that bad.

In terms of working out, I want to see Couch To 5k through to it's ending and then start transitioning to running outside (when it's warmer, which it isn't right now) and I'd like to start swimming and maybe take another run at the rock climbing wall again. But so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment